Places to Go, Things to Do in The Town of Oyster Bay

A Message from Town Supervisor JOSEPH SALADINO

Did you know that you can bicycle from TOBAY Beach to Captree State Park? It’s true; this new trail is open along Ocean Parkway and runs 10 miles long. Have you kayaked the South Shore Blueway Trail? If not, you can launch into local waters to navigate the coastline and rich ecosystems of the Hempstead Bays and South Oyster Bay. If bicycling and water sports aren’t for you, you can spot wildlife while enjoying preserves when hiking, jogging and walking over a dozen trails throughout the Town of Oyster Bay.

Physical activity or exercise can improve your health and reduce the risk of developing several diseases like type 2 diabetes, cancer and cardiovascular disease. Most importantly, regular activity can improve your quality of life. Your guide to staying #TOBstrong begins here!


BETHPAGE BIKEWAY- Trail end points are Manetto Hill Road and Woodbury Road in Woodbury, and Merrick Road and Ocean Ave. in Massapequa. The approximately 14-mile round trip Bethpage Bikeway connects Bethpage State Park with Merrick Road in Massapequa. There are a few parkway exits and busy street crossings along the way, but all crossings are clearly marked. The bikeway path runs south through the park on a scenic, paved path affording views of the polo field and some of parks five golf course. The trail leaves the park and parallels Bethpage State Parkway eventually crossing Southern State Parkway and entering Massapequa Preserve. The only major road crossing is at Sunrise Highway, near the southern end of the trail, but there is a stop light and crossing lane.

OCEAN PARKWAY COASTAL BIKE PATH-  An extension of the bike path that runs along the shore of Jones Beach Barrier Island is now open. The shared use path, Ocean Parkway Coastal Greenway, had run 3.6 miles from Jones Beach State Park to TOBAY Beach. It was recently extended by 10 miles, leading east to Captree State Park. This addition connects multiple trails and boasts stunning views of the Manhattan skyline. The path allows for walkers, runners, joggers, skaters, and cyclists to exercise along the shore. It also connects to another shared use trail, the Jones Beach Shared Use Leisure Path, on the West End. The path includes new bicycle parking areas at Gilgo Beach, Cedar Beach Marina, and Captree State Park.

WEST HARBOR DRIVE BIKE PATH– Bike Lane End Points: Ludlam Ave (Bayville) to Bayville Ave-Centre Island Road (Bayville)

JOHN J. BURNS PARK BIKE PATH- Merrick Road, Massapequa. This shared-use bike path loops around the entirety of the park, providing scenic views of ball fields, playgrounds, and the Great South Bay. The path loops around the park approximately .6 miles.


BATTLE ROW CAMPGROUND – (516) 572-8690 – 1 Claremont Rd, Old Bethpage, NY 11804 Comprising 44 acres of campground and dense woods, Battle Row has 64 campsites ranging in length from 40 to 45 feet, with more than half equipped with water and 30amp/125-volt electric hookups. There are 12 designated sites for those who prefer to tent. Two dump station facilities and two comfort stations are located within the park and are wheelchair accessible. Reservations are required through the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums.


BAILEY ARBORETUM(516) 571-8020 – 194 Bayville Road, Lattingtown, NY 11560 A 42-acre estate setting owned by the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums and operated by the Friends of Bailey Arboretum provides a natural backdrop for a magnificent collection of trees, rare shrubs and plants, beautiful flower beds and an interpretive nature trail. Open year round, educational programs are available by appointment. The main house, Bailey Manor, is available for rent for small weddings, parties and meetings, as well as a conference room in the Carriage House.

BETHPAGE STATE PARK – (516) 249-0701 – Bethpage State Parkway, Farmingdale, NY 11735 Best known for its five world-class golf courses and as the host of the 2009 U.S. Open Golf Championship and the 2019 PGA Championship, Bethpage State Park also offers bridle paths, hiking and biking trails, playing fields, tennis courts, cross-country skiing trails, picnic facilities and a polo field where matches are played every Sunday June through October. Also available are restaurant and catering facilities, a golf pro shop and driving range.

CANTIAGUE PARK – (516) 571-7056 – 480 W John St, Hicksville, NY 11801 Part of the Nassau County Parks, Recreation and Museum system, the 127-acre Cantiague Park offers a multitude of recreational opportunities including lighted tennis courts; lighted handball/paddleball courts; lighted basketball courts; an 18-hole miniature golf course; a nine-hole, par-30 golf course; an illuminated driving range; an indoor ice skating rink; an outdoor swimming complex with an Olympic-sized pool, two water slides, a diving pool, a “kiddie” pool, a training pool and an interactive water-play area; two reserved picnic areas and one non-reserved picnic area; shuffleboard courts; a bocci court; tables with inlaid chess and checker boards; and a playground. Athletic fields, lighted for night play, include softball fields and multi-sport fields.

CHARLES T. CHURCH NATURE PRESERVE – (516) 671-0283 – Frost Mill Road, Mill Neck, NY 11765 This 60-acre area, also known as Shu Swamp, is a wooded wetland fed by the Beaver Brook system. It offers 2.5 miles of trails, with boardwalks across muddier areas. Open every day except Friday, it is preserved and managed by the North Shore Wildlife Sanctuary.

COLD SPRING HARBOR FISH HATCHERY & AQUARIUM(516) 692-6768 – 1660 Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 After 99 years as a New York State Trout Hatchery, the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery & Aquarium now operates as a non-profit educational center dedicated to educating visitors about the freshwater ecosystems of New York. Unique public programs are presented throughout the year, and education programs are provided for students from pre-K through college, as well as Scouts and senior citizens. The hatchery has the largest living collection of New York State freshwater reptiles, fish and amphibians, which are housed in the Julia F. Fairchild Building, the Walter L. Ross II Aquarium Building and in eight outdoor ponds. Brook, brown and rainbow trout are raised to stock private ponds. Visitors are given a self-guided tour sheet and can purchase food to feed the trout. The hatchery staff is always available to answer any questions.

CORDELIA HEPBURN CUSHMAN PRESERVE – (516) 922-1028 – Route 25A, Oyster Bay Cove, NY 11771 A 15-acre wooded preserve. A variety of woodland birds can be observed here. Open sunrise-sunset. Limited parking available.

C.W. POST COMMUNITY ARBORETUM Long Island University, 720 Northern Boulevard, Brookville, NY 11548 A magnificent 20-acre tract of native trees and nature trails within the C.W. Post Campus. Features more than 62 tree species amid formal gardens, rolling green lawns, and a wide variety of shrubs and flower plants. Trail winds past the Tudor mansion that was the home of heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post. Open dawn to dusk seven days a week. Additionally, there is an eight-acre wooded preserve centered around a kettlehole pond. Home to a variety of wildlife. Open sunrise-sunset. Contact the Nature Conservancy for permission.

FOX HOLLOW PRESERVE – (516) 626-0908 – White Oak Tree Rd, Syosset, NY 11791 A 26-acre preserve on part of a former farm. A variety of bird life can be observed here. Open sunrise-sunset. Limited parking available.

HOFFMAN NATURE PRESERVE & WILDLIFE CENTER – (516) 922-3290 – 6000 Northern Blvd, East Norwich, NY 11732 Hoffman Center is a nature preserve and wildlife sanctuary (155 acres with approximately five miles of hiking trails) open for free nature tours every first and third Saturday of each month from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Tours are guided by Hoffman Center’s naturalist. Meet the tour guide at site entrance at 12:50 p.m. The gate will be locked when tours begin. No pets or children under 10 are permitted, and the walks are held rain or shine. Hoffman Center also hosts a variety of walks and programs, all led by the Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary and Audubon Center.

HOPE GODDARD ISELIN PRESERVE -(516) 572-0200 – Chicken Valley Rd, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 This 42-acre preserve stands on a plateau north of the Harbor Hill moraine. Once farmed, a historic field supports diverse plant life and bird species, as well as small mammals. The preserve is also wooded with a white pine plantation, an oak forest and abundant mountain laurel. Marked trails are open for hiking and observing nature from dawn to dusk daily.

JOHN F. KENNEDY MEMORIAL WILDLIFE SANCTUARY – (516) 797-4110 – Ocean Parkway, Massapequa, NY 11758 Lying along the southern boundary of the Town of Oyster Bay, just west of the Tobay Beach-bayside, this 500-acre sanctuary is considered to be one of the most important refuges for waterfowl in the northeast. It serves as a major wintering area for more than two dozen species of waterfowl, is a commonly used habitat for several species of ducks and wading birds, and is a stopover for numerous migrating waterfowl, as well as hawks and falcons. The Guggenheim Pond attracts a variety of wading birds including herons, egrets and ibis, as well as ducks, such as the uncommon black duck and American bittern. Established in 1959, the sanctuary is co-owned by the Town of Oyster Bay and the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation. Visitors must obtain a pass from the Town of Oyster Bay Parks Department, 977 Hicksville Road, Massapequa, 797-4110.

LOUIS C. CLARK SANCTUARY – (516) 922-1028 – Valentine’s Lane, Old Brookville, NY 11545 This eight-acre preserve contains extensive freshwater wetlands punctuated by Cedar Swamp Creek. A variety of plant life can be observed here. It is open sunrise-sunset.

MUTTONTOWN NATURE PRESERVE 1864 Muttontown Lane, East Norwich, NY 11732 Comprising 550 acres of fields, woodlands, ponds and grounds from two former estates, this is Nassau County’s largest nature preserve. Owned and operated by the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums, it encompasses miles of marked nature trails with local wildflowers, trees, birds, mammals, reptiles and amphibians (maps and brochures available for self-guided tours). Guided public nature walks and school educational programs are available by appointment. Cross-country ski trails are open to the public, weather permitting. Rooms in the Chelsea Center are available for rental to non-profit educational and public service organizations, excluding fundraising events. The circa 1904 Nassau Hall, home to the Nassau Parks Conservancy, is open to the public weekdays.

NASSAU-SUFFOLK GREENBELT TRAIL -(631) 360-0753 – Runs from Cold Spring Harbor to Massapequa From steep hills to old fields to quiet wetlands, this 20-mile National Recreation Trail offers surprising diversity. From Cold Spring Harbor, where mountain laurels bloom in June, the trail crosses Long Island to Massapequa Preserve watershed, where dozens of species of birds stop on their fall and spring migrations. Paths for mountain bikers parallel parts of this trail, and a loop in the Plainview area provides a connection with the Walt Whitman Trail. This is a designated National Recreation Trail under the National Trails System administered by the National Park Service of the U.S. Department of the Interior and maintained by the Long Island Greenbelt Trail Conference, Inc.

OACES SANCTUARYRoute 25A, East Norwich. A 26-acre wooded sanctuary which is home to a variety of bird life and wildlife. It is open sunrise-sunset. Contact the Nature Conservancy for permission.

OYSTER BAY NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE – (631) 286-0485 – Oyster Bay, NY 11771 The Oyster Bay National Wildlife Refuge was established in 1968 via land donation from the Town of Oyster Bay and several local villages under the Migratory Bird Conservation Act. Operated by the U.S. Department of the Interior-U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Refuge includes more than 3,000 acres of bay bottom and adjacent shoreline up to the mean high tide, plus the channels and marshes of Frost, Oak Neck, and Mill Neck Creeks. The sheltered nature of the refuge makes it attractive as a year round habitat for a variety of birds and waterfowl. New York State’s only remaining commercial oyster farm operates on the refuge, producing 90% of the State’s oyster harvest. The State of New York has designated the Oyster Bay area as a Significant Coastal Fish and Wildlife Habitat. Access to the refuge is limited to boats. Residents outside of Oyster Bay may enter the refuge by boat from Long Island Sound. Visitors in vehicles may travel local roads adjacent to the refuge. The refuge does not provide parking. Contact: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

PETER J. SCHMITT MASSAPEQUA PRESERVE  Merrick Road and Ocean Avenue, Massapequa, NY This 423-acre linear preserve, owned and operated by the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums, runs from Merrick Road on the south to Linden Street on the north and is bounded by Ocean Avenue/Parkside Boulevard on the west and Lake Shore Drive on the east. It is divided into three sections bounded by major roadways. The southern section, from Merrick Road to Sunrise Highway, contains the most diverse and ecologically valuable lands, including Massapequa Lake. Freshwater swamps, marsh, stream, lake and sandy-bog area provide habitat for many rare and endangered Long Island plants, including white-fringed orchids, carnivorous sundews and bladderworts. Freshwater fishing is permitted in several of the lakes (license required). The Nassau-Suffolk Greenbelt Trail runs through the preserve.

STILLWELL WOODS PRESERVE -(516) 572-0200 – South Woods Road, Syosset, NY 11791 A 270-acre preserve and multiple-use area under the aegis of the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums, Stillwell Woods offers a blend of old field and oak barrens communities, the latter of which includes plants and animals that are more typical of habitats farther east on Long Island. The Nassau-Suffolk Greenbelt Trail for hikers runs through the preserve. There are also bicycle trails and equestrian trails. A 30.9-acre portion of the preserve is leased to the Town of Oyster Bay for use as playing fields.

ST. JOHN’S POND PRESERVE 1660 Route 25A, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 (Cold Spring Fish Hatchery & Aquarium entrance) This 14-acre preserve has three district habitats: marsh, pond and woodland. The preserve’s wildlife includes opossum, red fox, flying squirrels, as well as several species of turtles and frogs. Marked trails, for foot traffic only, are open for hiking and observing nature daily except Christmas and New Year’s. Obtain a key to the preserve at the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery admission booth between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

TACKAPAUSHA MUSEUM AND PRESERVE -(516) 572-0200 – 2225 Washington Ave, Seaford, NY 11783 The museum showcases the varied natural habitats of Long Island, including plants and wildlife in different seasons, and provides educational programs. The preserve is a 77-acre tract of glacial outwash plain that serves as a wildlife sanctuary consisting of wet, deciduous woods, swamps, streams and ponds. A variety of small mammals and 170 species of birds have been seen at the Preserve in the spring. The museum and preserve are part of the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums system.

THEODORE ROOSEVELT SANCTUARY AND AUDUBON CENTER -(516) 922-3200 – 134 Cove Rd, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 Owned by the National Audubon Society, the sanctuary was the first Audubon songbird sanctuary in the nation and contains 12 acres of unspoiled land and a self-guiding nature trail. The museum houses Long Island flora and fauna exhibits. Educational programs on natural sciences, wildlife, ecology and Native Americans are available for pre-k to grade 12, as well as wildlife presentations for pre-k to adult.

TIFFANY CREEK PRESERVESandy Hill Road near Berry Hill Road, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 A 197-acre preserve cobbled together from parts of three former estates, Tiffany Creek provides a mix of ecological communities within an oak forest. Descending through glacially formed ravines, the preserve’s oak hilltop and upland meadow provide excellent examples of the mid-slope community. Tuliptree, red oak and red maple dominate the low slope. A wet meadow with a diverse plant community can be found at the northeast border of the preserve. Part of the Nassau County Parks, Recreation and Museum system, the preserve has a self-guided trail.

TRAIL VIEW STATE PARK – (631) 423-1770/(516) 249-0701 – 8101 Jericho Turnpike, Woodbury, NY 11797 Trail View is a 400-acre, 7.4-mile linear park that serves as a link along the Nassau-Suffolk Greenbelt Trail that extends from Cold Spring Harbor State Park on the north shore of Suffolk County to Bethpage State Park, and eventually to the south shore of Nassau County. Encompassing a variety of habitats and undeveloped natural resources such as hardwood forests, marshes and a succession fields with elevations ranging from 60 to 300 feet above sea level, it offers a variety of recreational opportunities including trails for hiking and bicycling on its hilly terrain and open fields. Owned by the New York State Department of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, the park is a favorite spot for birdwatchers year-round, but especially during the spring and fall bird migrations because it lies on the Atlantic flyway.


BAYVILLE HISTORICAL MUSEUM(516) 628-1720, (516) 628-1439 – 34 School St, Bayville, NY 1170 The museum is housed, in part, in the only remaining building complex that was part of the Harrison Williams 88-acre estate called “Oak Point.” It features several rooms of permanent exhibits depicting Bayville’s history, including a shellfish and asparagus industries and a country store, and large room for changing exhibitions and events.

BETHPAGE FRIENDS MEETING Quaker Meeting House Rd, Farmingdale, NY 11735 The original Bethpage Friends Meeting House, built in 1741, was the first house of worship constructed in the Bethpage Purchase area, a 15-square mile tract of land encompassing Bethpage and Farmingdale that was purchased by noted Quaker Thomas Powell in 1695 from three Native American tribes. The present structure, built in 1890, is the third meeting house at this site, the previous two having been destroyed by fire. It is nearly surrounded by Farmingdale’s oldest cemetery.

COLD SPRING HARBOR LABORATORY(516) 367-6895 – 1 Bungtown Road, Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 Founded in 1890, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a private, non-profit institution with research programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant genetics, genomics, and bioinformatics and a broad educational mission. The Lab offers regularly scheduled Community Tours during the spring, summer and fall. These one and a half hour tours explore the past, present and future of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, emphasizing the historic architecture, the Nobel legacy, and the advanced cancer and neuroscience research taking place each day. The tour cost is $5.00 per person, and reservations are required. Be advised that the tour is primarily outdoors and takes place rain or shine. The tour requires a lot of stair-climbing and steep hills and is not recommended for people who have difficulty walking.

DELANCEY FLOYD-JONES FREE LIBRARYMerrick Road, Massapequa, NY 11758 Founded in 1896, the two-room Delancey Floyd-Jones Free Library is one of the oldest libraries in the Town of Oyster Bay. The library collection remains in the original structure and is open to the public for research. Open Wednesday and Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

EARLE-WIGHTMAN HOUSE(516) 922-5032 – 20 Summit Street, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 Named for two Baptist ministers who made their home here in the early 19th century, the Earle-Wightman House is a circa 1720 building restored and maintained by the Town of Oyster Bay and operated by the Oyster Bay Historical Society as its headquarters, research library with an extensive genealogy collection and museum with period exhibition rooms. Originally built on South Street and moved to its current location in 1966, it houses a collection of Town memorabilia, a bookstore featuring books on Oyster Bay history, and features periodic special exhibits and lectures. Newly renovated exhibition rooms illustrate the life of an 18th century tradesman and his family in their one-room house. Visitors can also explore the social life of Reverend Earle, as they see how he entertained guests in his 19th century parlor. A hands-on aspect of a tour enhances the experience for both children and adults. An 18th century garden of ornamental plantings and herbs completes the visitor’s journey back into old Oyster Bay. The Oyster Bay Historical Society welcomes school groups with a hands-on tour specially designed for them.

FORT HILL MARKER – Orchard & Prospect Streets, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 Lt. Col. John G. Simcoe, commander of the Queen’s Rangers, fortified this hill while occupying Oyster Bay during the American Revolution. It gave the British an excellent vantage point from which to keep a lookout for any patriot ships that might slip into Oyster Bay Harbor. The fort was never attacked by the Americans.

FORT NECK MARKER – Southeast corner of Fairfax and Gloucester Road, Massapequa, NY 11758 This site marks an area believed to have been where a tribe of Masapeaq Indians lived in dome-shaped shelters similar to those of Navajo hogans within a stockaded fort. Early Colonists gave the area the name Fort Neck. The marker also commemorates the 1658 sale of the nearby meadows by the Massapeaqs to the colonists.

GARVIES POINT MUSEUM & PRESERVE(516) 571-8010/11 – 50 Barry Dr, Glen Cove, NY 11542 Part of the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums system, the museum’s exhibits deal with Long Island and New York State geology and Long Island Native American culture and archeology brought to life through dioramas, models and artifacts. The preserve consists of 62 acres of glacial moraine covered by forests, thickets, and meadows. There are about five miles of marked natured trails including trails for the blind. A trail guide to the preserve is available at the museum. The beach offers visitors a place to observe a number of unique geological features not found together in such a limited area elsewhere on Long Island. Educational programs relating to local geology, archeology and outdoor environmental themes are offered to school groups during school hours by appointment and on Saturdays by special arrangement. Call the education desk, (516) 571-8011.

HICKSVILLE GREGORY MUSEUM  (516) 822-7505 – 1 Heitz Place, Hicksville, NY 11801 This museum evolved from the collections of a local school administrator and now houses the largest rock and mineral collection on Long Island, along with more than 5,000 butterfly and moth specimens and shell and fossil collections in the historic circa 1895 Heitz Place Courthouse. The museum offers, by appointment, tours and educational programs in the earth sciences, paleontology, and butterflies and moths for all age levels.

HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL & TOLERANCE CENTER – (516) 571-8040 – 100 Crescent Beach Road, Glen Cove The Holocaust Memorial and Tolerance Center of Nassau County showcases the history of the Holocaust and its lessons through education and community outreach. Its mission focuses on teaching about the dangers of anti-Semitism, intolerance, racism, bullying, and all other manifestations of bigotry. HMTC is a sanctuary for all people, regardless of their faith or ethnicity.

JERICHO FRIENDS MEETING  6 Old Jericho Turnpike, Jericho, NY 11753 Erected in 1788 on one acre and twenty rods of land purchased from Benjamin and William Wright, the Jericho Friends Meeting House was designed by noted Friends preacher Elias Hicks. In 1818, a porch to protect the two south doors was added.

MATINECOCK FRIENDS MEETING (516) 669-6023 – Duck Pond Road & Piping Rock Road, Locust Valley, NY 11560 The Matinecock Friends Meeting was organized in 1671. The original building was constructed around 1725 and stood until it was destroyed by fire in 1985. A new building was completed in 1986.

MEMORIAL TO MESSENGER – Duck Pond Road, just east of the Piping Rock Road intersection, Locust Valley A gray horse out of an unnamed mare by Turf, foaled in 1780, Messenger was an English thoroughbred stallion and a descendent of the Darley Arabian line of thoroughbreds. After a racing career on English turf, he was imported to the United States in 1788 and became a stud horse. He is the “founding sire” of the modern-day standardbred, the principal breed of harness racing, and a prominent contributor to the nation’s thoroughbred stock. His descendents include racing legends Man O’War, Equipoise, Kelso, and Secretariat, as well as harness racing greats Hambletonian, Bret Hanover and Niatross.

OLD BETHPAGE VILLAGE RESTORATION(516) 571-8400 – Round Swamp Road, Old Bethpage, NY 11804 This authentically re-created mid-19th century village, owned by the Nassau County Department of Parks, Recreation and Museums, features 51 historic buildings moved here from various parts of Long Island and a number of re-constructions, all nestled on 209 sprawling acres. Arts and crafts are demonstrated by “villagers” in traditional period garb using authentic 19th century implements. Special events are held throughout the year, including concerts, holiday observances and the Long Island Fair. Also, vintage baseball games are played in recreated period uniforms with period equipment. For information on special events, call (516) 572-8401.

OLD GRACE CHURCH(516) 799-2023 – 4755 Merrick Road, Massapequa, NY 11758 Built in 1844, Old Grace Church is the oldest church in Massapequa and was used continuously until a larger church was built across the street in the 1960s. Operated by the Historical Society of the Massapequas and open by appointment, it is situated on part of what once was the estate of Massapequa’s founding family, the Joneses. Both Major Jones, his wife, Freelove, and many other members of the Jones family are buried in the cemetery to the rear of the church. The yard and headstones are well preserved, and their inscriptions trace the early social history of the Massapequas. Also on the grounds are the Delancey-Floyd Jones Free Library (see separate listing) and the circa 1860 Floyd Jones Cottage, a five-room servants’ cottage.

OYSTER BAY RAILROAD MUSEUM(516) 558-7036 – 102 Audrey Avenue, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 Located in scenic Oyster Bay hamlet, the museum is dedicated to preserving the rich legacy of Long Island’s railroad history. The preview center features railroad memorabilia, interactive displays, renderings of future plans, and a museum store. The display yard features full-size railroad rolling stock and equipment. Hours are Saturday and Sunday, 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. During the summer, “Spend a Day in Oyster Bay” visitor packets are available, including discount coupons for eating establishments and retail shops, along with brochures of the various area attractions. A self-guided tour of the hamlet is available featuring electric “wands.” The museum is operated by the non-profit Oyster Bay Railroad Museum organization.

PLANTING FIELDS ARBORETUM STATE HISTORIC PARK & COE HALL HOUSE MUSEUM (516) 922-9210 – 1395 Planting Fields Road, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 A former Gold Coast Estate owned and operated by the New York State Department of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, the arboretum comprises 409 acres of greenhouses, rolling lawns, formal gardens, woodland paths, and outstanding plant collections. Educational programs are offered to adults and children in a variety of areas and special interests. Original historic estate buildings remain, including the 65-room Tudor Revival mansion Coe Hall, which is open for tours spring through fall. Indoor wedding ceremonies can be booked inside Coe Hall Museum in the Great Hall. Capacity is limited to 125 people. The Manor House is available for small parties up to 35 people. The field house at the Manor house is designated for tented affairs. The Carriage House is suitable for small lectures and workshops for up to 40 people. The Burns Horticultural Center is suitable for plant society meetings, corporate meetings, craft and antique shows or private functions. Seating capacity is up to 200 people lecture-style. Outdoor wedding ceremonies can be held in the formal Rose Garden by appointment. To use the grounds solely for wedding photos a permit is required.

RAYNHAM HALL MUSEUM(516) 922-6808 – 20 West Main Street, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 A 20-room house museum that transports you back into the life and times of the Townsends, one of the founding families of the Town of Oyster Bay, Raynham Hall was used as British headquarters during the American Revolution. The main house was built ca. 1740 with a Victorian wing added in 1851. The museum, which is owned by the Town of Oyster Bay and operated by the Friends of Raynham Hall, features period furnishings and special exhibits. Tours and educational programs are available by appointment.

SAGAMORE HILL NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE (516) 922-4788 – 20 Sagamore Hill Rd, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 A Victorian Mansion completed in 1885, Sagamore Hill served as Theodore Roosevelt’s home until his death in 1919 and from 1902 to 1908 as the 26th President’s “Summer White House.” Furnished in period style, it features mementos of the President’s life, trophies from his “big game” safaris and gifts from world leaders. The Theodore Roosevelt Museum at Old Orchard, former residence of Theodore, Jr. and his family, contains Roosevelt memorabilia, including original film clips shown in special narrated program. This site is owned and operated by the National Park Service.

SEA CLIFF VILLAGE MUSEUM(516) 801-3401 – 95 10th Ave, Sea Cliff, NY 11579 Housed in a former Methodist parsonage, the museum focuses on the history and culture of Sea Cliff. It contains an extensive vintage photo/postcard collection, costume exhibit, Victorian kitchen, artifacts, documents, scale model of a Victorian-era Sea Cliff home and gift shop. Special programs and exhibits offered throughout the year.

SEPTEMBER 11 MEMORIAL- TOWN OF OYSTER BAY (516) 797-4110 – TOBAY Beach Bayside, Ocean Parkway, Massapequa, NY 11758 The Town of Oyster Bay’s September 11 Memorial is located in a serene and peaceful area of TOBAY beach bayside with a direct line of sight to where the World Trade Center once stood. A granite-clad, semi-circle shaped monument is inscribed with names of Town residents who perished on 9/11. The memorial includes a steel beam recovered from the World Trade Center, a flagpole, benches, landscaping and decorative pavement defining the Twin Towers and the Pentagon.

SEPTEMBER 11 MEMORIAL – WESTERN WATERFRONT – West End Avenue, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 Situated at the Western Waterfront against the backdrop of Oyster Bay Harbor in Oyster Bay hamlet, this memorial pays tribute to local residents who perished on September 11. Their names are engraved on plaques affixed to a granite wall. One plaque bears the inscription: We shall never forget the forty-sixth minute of the eighth hour of the eleventh day of September 11, 2001. The memorial includes decorative pavement, a meditation garden and a nautical mast-style flagpole.

THEODORE ROOSEVELT STATUE – Corner of Rte. 106 and Berry Hill Road, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 To celebrate the centennial of Rotary in 2005, the Rotary Club of Oyster Bay commissioned a 12-foot tall statue of Theodore Roosevelt, our nation’s 26th President and Oyster Bay’s most well-known citizen. Made from the original casting of the famous “Theodore Roosevelt-Rough Rider” sculpture created in 1921 by renowned sculptor Alexander Phimister Proctor, the statue portrays Roosevelt on horseback in his uniform as Lt. Colonel of the famous 1st U.S. Volunteer Cavalry Regiment known as the “Rough Riders,” a unit he helped raise to fight in the Spanish-American War and then helped lead in battle, including the famous charge up San Juan Hill.

TOWNSEND PARK – Audrey Avenue, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 The land for this triangular-shaped village green park was donated to the Town in 1906 by Charles DeKay Townsend. The Derby-Hall Bandstand, built in 1980, is an exact replica of one built in 1909 that served as the focal point for concerts and community events until it was taken down in the 1930’s and was used by Theodore Roosevelt to deliver a July 4th speech in 1916. It was named for one of Theodore Roosevelt’s daughters, Ethel Carow Roosevelt Derby, and Leonard W. Hall, a former Congressman and Mrs. Derby’s godson, who conceived the idea of reconstructing the bandstand. At each corner of the park is a cannon. Two of the three cannon are Parrott rifles: one is a 30-pounder produced in 1861 and was part of the battery on the Civil War ship USS R.R. Cuyler, a wooden screw steamship built in New York in 1859-60 and chartered by the U.S. Navy in 1861 in anticipation of upcoming hostilities. It was presented to Oyster Bay by the U.S. Navy Department and unveiled by President Theodore Roosevelt in June 1903. The other Parrott rifle is a 60-pounder produced in 1864. The third cannon is a Civil War-era Dahlgren rifle. Affixed to its carriage is a bronze tablet, one of only 1,000 cast from metal recovered from the battleship USS Maine, which blew up and sank in Havana Harbor in February 1898 in the final days leading up to the Spanish-American War.

YOUNGS MEMORIAL CEMETERY – Cove Road, Oyster Bay Cove, NY 11771 A burial ground since the 1600’s, Youngs Memorial Cemetery is the final resting place of President Theodore Roosevelt and his wife, Edith Kermit Roosevelt. The simple granite headstone is engraved with both of their names and bears the Presidential Seal. A plaque on a nearby rock bears T.R.’s own words: “Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground.” T.R.’s hillside grave is reached by 26 steps signifying his position as the 26th President. Weather permitting, the cemetery is open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in the summer and 9:00 a.m. to dusk the remainder of the year.


MASSAPEQUA LAKE– Located within the Massapequa Preserve, just north of Merrick Road, in Massapequa. Anglers will have a chance to catch largemouth bass, some of which are over 15 inches long thanks to a no-kill regulation implemented in 1998. The lake also supports a very strong bluegill and yellow perch population. During the most recent survey of Massapequa Lake, the catch for both species was over 80 fish per hour. The lake becomes difficult to fish during the summer due to a heavy growth of spatterdock and water chestnut. These plants grow out of the water creating dense mats of vegetation that anglers cannot fish through. Targeting the edges of these mats should reward anglers with a few large fish. Common carp also grow very large in Massapequa Lake, with fish over 100 pounds.

OYSTER BAY MILL POND– Located in Oyster Bay, south of West Shore Road. Oyster Bay Mill Pond is one of the few public freshwater fishing spots on the North Shore of Nassau County. Trout are stocked in the spring and the fall. A population of largemouth bass also populate the lake, but tend to be less than 12 inches long. There are also carp and a few bullhead in the lake, which are up to about 15 inches long. The lake can become difficult to fish during the summer due to heavy growth of water chestnut which create dense mats of vegetation. Targeting the edges of these mats should reward bass anglers with some fish.

SOUTH SHORE BLUEWAYS TRAIL –  Launch into local waters to navigate the coastline and rich ecosystems of the Hempstead Bays and South Oyster Bay. The South Shore Blueway Trail is a safe network of water access points for human-powered boats and beachable sail craft, which allows people to experience the natural, scenic and cultural wonders of Long Island’s South Shore, while protecting wildlife and habitat and the safety of trail users and all mariners. You can enter the South Shore Blueway Trail at the following the Town of Oyster Bay access points in Massapequa: Alhambra Park; John J. Burns Park; and TOBAY Beach (landing spot only, no launching).

SALT WATER FISHING AT TOBAY BEACH, HARRY TAPPEN BEACH, THEODORE ROOSEVELT BEACH & CENTRE ISLAND BEACH– Salt water fishing is available at TOBAY Beach (Ocean Parkway, Massapequa), Harry Tappen Beach (Shore Road, Glenwood Landing), Theodore Roosevelt Beach (Larabee Ave, Oyster Bay) and at Centre Island Beach (466 Bayville Ave, Bayville). Residents and non-residents can apply for a night fishing permit (non-residents must be sponsored by a current Town resident who already has a night fishing permit). Night fishing hours are 7pm to 7am. Night fishing is permitted at TOBAY Beach from April through December. Night fishing is permitted at Harry Tappen Beach, Theodore Roosevelt Beach, and Centre Island Beach year round.

THE WATERFRONT CENTER – (516) 922-SAIL (7245) – One West End Ave, Oyster Bay, NY 11771 The Waterfront Center is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to inspiring people of all ages about the marine environment. The Oyster Bay Sailing School and the historic landmark oyster sloop Christeen offer educational programs, certification classes, boat and kayak rentals, sunset sails and more.

If you would like to learn to sail, take part in sailboat racing, rent a sailboat or sea kayak, arrange a private charter, take a sailing vacation to the British Virgin Islands, send your child to summer camp, take swimming lessons, go fishing on Long Island Sound with pros, visit tall ships, or sail on the Christeen oyster sloop – The Waterfront Center has a program that will suit you! We look forward to seeing you here at Oyster Bay Harbor, the most beautiful harbor on Long Island’s Gold Coast.