Commissioner Richard Lenz
(516) 677-5757

Highway Operations is a division of The Department of Public Works. The principal responsibilities of Highway Operations are road maintenance and repair, and snow, ice and flood control for the nearly 750 miles of road under Town jurisdiction, as well as the operation of public parking fields. Highway Operations also directs the operation of the Drainage, Public Lighting, Sign Divisions, and Trees and Sidewalk Division, as well as Town sumps.

Plowing Operations (516) 677-5757

The Town of Oyster Bay Highway Operations is prepared with over 25,000 tons of salt and sand to pretreat roadways before the start of a storm. The Snow-Fighting Fleet includes roughly 300 pieces of equipment that cover more than 750 miles of roadway.

Once it is snowing, plow operators are instructed to “open up” each street- plowing a path down the center of the road for the first responders to reach residents at all times. Plow operators return, making multiple passes, to clear intersections and plow curb-to-curb. To best plow your road, we ask that you move cars off the street and into your driveway, a neighbor’s driveway (with permission) or onto the sidewalk temporarily.

Road Repaving (516) 677-5757

Highway Operations oversees the maintenance of the nearly 750 miles of road under Town jurisdiction. To report a pothole please call (516) 677-5757.

Street Sweeping Program (516) 677-5757

From the beginning of April through the end of October, Highway Operations conducts a Street Sweeping program. A schedule and map are sent to every homeowner indicating the three scheduled sweeping cycles in their neighborhood. To obtain information call (516) 677-5757.

Permits For Sidewalk, Curb or Apron Work (516) 677-5762

Any work done on public sidewalks, curbs or aprons requires a work permit from Highway Operations. Call (516) 677-5762.
Original permit For Work On Town Right-Of-Way must be acquired by calling the Town’s Highway Operations at (516) 677-5884.

Permits For Road Openings (516) 677-5905

Any work done on public roadways requires a road opening permit from Highway Operations. Call (516) 677-5905.
Temporary Road Restoration Details (OPTION 1, OPTION 2)
Permanent Road Restoration Details HERE

Block Parties (516) 677-5757

In addition, Highway Operations processes requests for block parties. You may print a copy of the Block Party Application below. For more information call (516) 677-5757.
Download Block Party Application

Parades (516) 677-5839

Highway Operations processes requests for parade permits. You may print a copy of the Parade Permit Application below. For more information call (516) 677-5839.
Download for Parade Permit Application

Sign Division (516) 677-5838

The Sign Division installs and maintains all traffic control signs, parking signs and street name signs in the Town. Residents should report any missing or damaged signs or other problems to this bureau. Requests for traffic control or parking signs should be directed to the Town Board.

Drainage Division (516) 677-5793

The Drainage Division is responsible for catch basins and Town sumps. Residents should alert this bureau if a catch basin on a Town road is overflowing or in need of cleaning or if there is any problem with a Town sump. To report a problem with a catch basin on a Nassau County Road or with a Nassau County sump, call (516) 571-6900. To report a problem with a catch basin on a State Road or with a State sump, call (516) 952-6702. When reporting a problem with a sump, it is helpful to have the number of the sump. It appears on a sign located on the entrance gate to the sump.

Public Lighting Bureau (516) 677-5915

The Public Lighting Bureau is responsible for the installation and maintenance of all street lighting within the Town, excluding incorporated villages. In order for the bureau to respond as quickly as possible to your inquiry, it is helpful to report the address closest to the light, nearest cross street and pole number. It is also important to speak clearly and slowly, spell the street name and leave your name and contact phone number.

Public Parking Division (516) 677-5838

The Public Parking Division operates all of the municipal parking fields in the Town of Oyster Bay. The parking fields are for use only by Town residents, who must obtain a sticker from the Town Clerk’s Office.

Tree Bureau (516) 677-5888

The Tree Bureau within Highway Operations assists residents when they have an issue with a curbside Town tree. If the tree appears to be declining (diseased) or raising the homeowner’s sidewalk slabs the homeowner will be asked to complete a “Tree Removal Application” so that we can send an inspector to assess the tree(s) as well as the integrity of the sidewalk.

CLICK HERE Tree Removal Application for a Town tree located between the sidewalk and curb or a tree located within 10′ from the curb.

CLICK HERE Tree Preservation Removal Application

The Tree Bureau can also assist residents if they have a “private” tree they would like removed.  A Private tree is one that is located on the front lawn, backyard or side yard. Please call (516) 677- 5888.

* NEW YORK STATE maintained roads include:
NYS Department of Transportation: (631) 952-6702

Long Island Expressway (495) Jericho Turnpike (25) Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway (135)
Hempstead Turnpike (24) Hicksville Road (107) Sunrise Highway (27)
Oyster Bay Road (106) Northern State Parkway Southern State Parkway

* NASSAU COU NTY maintained roads include:
Nassau County Department of Public Works- Road Maintenance: (516) 571-6900

Old Country Road Bayville Avenue & Road Berry Hill Road
Buckram Road (Locust Valley) Central Avenue (Bethpage) Jerusalem Avenue
Motor Avenue (Farmingdale) Manetto Hill Road W. Main Street (Oyster Bay)
Merrick Road Newbridge Road Plainview Road
Round Swamp Road South Oyster Bay Road Stewart Avenue
Syosset/Woodbury Road Underhill Boulevard Woodbury Road


More Resources